
Last night after being in bed for awhile, Lorelei came out of her room with tears in her eyes. I could tell by the look on her face that it wasn't the normal plea asking to stay up a little longer. She came over to sit on my lap and I asked her what was wrong. She said that she was looking at the picture of Jesus in her room and it was making her cry. Which made me cry. I asked her why it made her cry and she said she didn't know. I told her it was because she loved him and that she missed him, and she agreed.
I have always had a special place in my heart for that picture, like many other people. The son of Del Parson, the painter, was one of my art teachers at Ricks College. So I feel some sort of imaginary connection with it. There is a rumor that he was commissioned to paint the portrait under the direction of the general authorities of the church, who suggested how to make it more accurate, until it was deemed the closest resemblance of Jesus Christ, though Parson said that story was not true. He even said he almost threw it in his fireplace because he was frustrated with his perceived inability to accurately portray the Master. Obviously he was completely wrong because I know of so many children who have looked at the portrait and been mesmerized by it. I know that we remember Him, and I know we will recognize Him when we see His face.
1 comment:
What a neat post. ah to be a kid again and be so in tune:)
Post a Comment