Saturday, December 6, 2008

Meredith's Birth Day


Meredith was born in the early morning two years ago today.As we found out after having her sister, Lorelei, I knew that my only choice in giving birth to her would be through C-Section. Which is not altogether bad, considering the great opportunity to schedule the Big Day. Her original due date was my birthday, December 8th, but I wanted to push it up so she could have her own special birthday.
So we got to the hospital at 5:30AM to check in and get ready for surgery. It was a much more relaxed and exciting day the second time. We knew what to expect and I would be wide awake and alert.
We walked into the operating room, which was FREEZING, and the anesthesiologist started my epidural. For some reason this second epidural really, really hurt and telling me not move only made it more scary. It made me very nauseous, so he gave me something to make it go away. And boy did it... If I ever find out what that was, I'm going to stock up! As the doctors worked on me I remember them talking about renting and buying jets, and golf.
Then there she was. Tiny little Meredith, 6 pounds, 10 ounces, 18 1/2 inches long, with greenish-blue eyes and black curly hair. She was beautiful.
But as the doctor checked her over and listened to her heart, he heard a murmur and was concerned. Of course we were very worried, but tried to be strong. As the hours passed by, they noticed that everytime we fed her, her heart would stop beating. That was very scary. They said that if the murmur was still there by tomorrow we would have to take her to the Primary Childrens Hospital in Salt Lake.
Thankfully, the next day, he could not hear it anymore and felt that she would be fine. At the time, those 24 hours seemed like days.
The three nights that I was there, I had a very hard time sleeping. It felt like there were many people around my bed. I kept waking up, fully expecting to see people there at the foot of my bed. It was a feeling I can't explain, except that it wasn't scary or disturbing, I just really felt like I wasn't alone.
After about 6 months of acid reflux and $100 a month for prescription medicines, she became a happy and healthy baby. With her crazy curly hair and her adventurous nature, we have been blessed with a wonderful spirit in our home.
Happy Birthday, Meredith.

2 comments:

Amy E said...

What a sweet post! Meredith is so cute.

Sarah said...

Oh sweet Monkey- Happy Birthday!
We love you:)